The Riding / Backcountry / Backcountry Weeks
We offer dedicated weeks of backcountry riding on select dates throughout our season (see dates). These weeks are ideal for mountain bikers who are seeking something more adventurous and even more “out-there” than our resort based weeks can offer. Still based in Les Arcs, we travel a bit further afield to some remote trailheads and our backcountry routes pass through some of the most incredible alpine scenery. These weeks have a more relaxed feel to them than our lift accessed weeks because of our limited capacity and the lack of any time or geographical constraints. You’ll ride the best secret trails of other areas such as Val d’Isere / Tignes, Champagy, and Meribel / Courchevel….plus a few places you have never even heard of before like Villette, Villarlurin and La Bathie. (Shhhhh, don’t tell anyone!)
As with our resort-based holidays, we use a flexible approach and tailor the backcountry week riding to the preferences and abilities of the attending group(s). Also of note is that the Tarentaise Valley has enough riding to keep anyone of any standard happy for weeks (or indeed months!) on end, so we have no set schedule and are spoilt for choice.
Gravity-Assisted (i.e. some pedalling required !)
No ski-lifts are open and available for use during our backcountry weeks, so for backcountry riding we use a proven minibus & trailer set-up to help us access those far-out high-up trailheads. It is, however, important to note that because of the nature of our backcountry riding, it’s impossible to make the minibus do all the work for us. Therefore, some pedal power on your part is required. You don’t need to be super-fit, but a moderate level of aerobic fitness and stamina will help you enjoy the more “epic” nature of our backcountry trail repertoire.
Although we’re flexible in our approach to the riding on these weeks, a trailAddiction backcountry week is likely to consist of something similar to the following format:
- H.E.I.D.I – As featured in an article in Singletrack Magazine. Long minibus uplift gaining 2000m in height, then predominantly descending over the whole day (but high endurance levels required to complete this epic ride). Total climbing: 1200m, total descent: 3500m, distance: 45km
- “Classic” Backcountry Singletrack Descent Day – We use minibus uplifts all day to access a selection of trails way out of the resort boundaries. Total climbing: 50m, total descent: 3400m, on-bike distance: 35km
- Mont Jovet Enduro – Single minibus uplift shuttle at the start of the day to 2500m, this leads us straight into a technical descent known as “Spider Pig” which is followed by a long steady climb. We then descend 2000m, over about 2 hours experiencing a massive variety of riding along the way from a ridgeline ribbon of singletrack, to slow technical sections. Total climb: 980m, Total descent: 3650m, Total Distance: 55km
- Beaufortain Backcountry – An uplifted XC ride, with a minibus uplift back home if required. This starts with a long climb from the chalet followed by an up-and-down high-mountain traverse near the national park, and rounded off with a very long singletrack descent down into the valley. Direct views of Mont Blanc and overlooking the beautiful Lac de Roseland have to be seen to be believed. Total climbing: 800m, total descent: 3000m, distance:50km
- The Meribel Ridge – Another incredible single track epic, starting with an uplift to high on a ridge above the resort of Meribel, and eventually finishing in an ancient leafy, warp-speed flow-fest of a trail that will quite simply blown your mind: “Loam Ranger”
- Unguided Riding Day / Day off – Some people prefer to rest, and enjoy the chalet and scenery, or try an alternative sport such as rafting, walking or paragliding… The hardcore will ask us for some suggested routes and we will be happy to oblige!
- Hut trip Overnighter For the adventurous biker looking for a truly once-in-a-time experience, a 2-day ride with an overnight stop in a (very comfortable) mountain refuge is a must.A small additional surcharge applies, but this includes an additional evening meal on what is usually “staff night off”. Please indicate your interest in this option when you book your trip
[az_blank_divider height_value=”50″][az_buttons buttonlabel=”Interested? Check out our Backcountry Week dates!” target=”_self” buttonsize=”button-medium” checkicon=”no_icon” icon=”font-icon-phone” animation_loading=”no” animation_loading_effects=”fade_in” buttonlink=”http://www.trailaddiction.com/bookings/”][az_blank_divider height_value=”50″]